Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fathers day caching

Cachingwidow and I went out on Fathers day to do some caching. There was no way I wanted to sit around the house on fathers day, not this year. So we went to get some of the New Mexico Challenge Geocaches. The original New Mexico Challenge, was set up by New Mexico Geocachers.com who placed one cache in every county. So there are 33 caches to be found. When the challenge came out Cachingwidow and I were dealing with Chris's treatment and didn't get a chance to get out and get any of the caches. Since the challenge has been out for a year many cachers have completed it, but with the price of gas I think people are less likely to go out just to find these caches. We went after McKinley and Cibola Counties, on Sunday. Now we used to live in McKinley county, but have never found a cache there. Well we got five, on the way to the McKinley county. After that we got the Cibola county cache and 3 more in a place called Zuni Canyon. None of the caches were particularly hard, just lots of driving which gave Cachingwidow and I the chance to visit. We also got into some country that we had never been in before which is alway a nice thing. I think that is one of my favorite things about caching, seeing places that I never would have gone into if there hadn't been a cache. For the weekend I added 10 to the total. Saturday I got one at the New Mexico Veterans Memorial, a beautiful site, that was very peaceful. I was having trouble finding the cache and decided to check the cache page on Geocaching.com through the WAP site. The coordinates had been changed so as I was getting the new coordinates into my palm I heard what sounded like gun fire, then a couple of seconds later I heard it again, and then a third time. Right after the third time I heard the sound of a bugle playing Taps and remembered there is a cemetery very close to here. It reminded me once again of the sacrifice made by so many so that I could be out Geocaching on a Saturday morning. I have no idea who the veteran was that was being laid to rest, but I know that who ever it was, at one point in time in their life they put on the uniform of one of the Armed services and served. All I could do at that moment was ask God to bring peace and comfort to the family, and for God to bless that veteran, and all the veteran's that have taken up arms in the service of our nation.

No comments: