Thursday, March 27, 2008

In Memory of RUNO1

Today is a sad day around team Mopigeon. Two years ago my father passed away very suddenly. About a month earlier he had found his 100th cache. In 2004 my friend Jspydr introduced me to Geocaching. I was quickly hooked. About 3 weeks later we took a trip to Arizona to see my parents for Thanksgiving. I knew dad had a GPSr so I told him about Geocaching.com, got on the site and downloaded several caches near their house. We got there and within a few hours had gone out and got a cache. Just like that I added my second state to my map. I showed my dad what caches I had mapped out, he knew the area where they were, then showed me the ones he had in mind to find. None of this in town stuff, nope we are going to the desert. Way in the desert. To a mine, did I mention way out in the desert. We got a several out there that day. It wasn't long and dad had a new GPSr and was going out on his own. Since he was retired he went out in the desert and became an FTF hound. I stayed a head of him in numbers, but he always would ask how I was doing on the first to find count.
In August of 05 we were in Montana for a family reunion, and before we had left dad and I were on the phone figuring out caches. There was only one around the area, but of course we were going to get it, and we did. Made an early morning run and took along a cousin who had never been caching. It was our first Montana cache and the last cache I found with dad.
Not long after Dad died I got this crazy idea that I could put some of his ashes in a travel bug and set it loose on the world. Mom thought it was a great idea. Some other people looked at me like I was crazy. But I don't care. A friend made the container and we sealed that sucker but good. So after keeping the bug with me for a while, we went back to our old home in Colorado to scatter some of Dad's ashes at the Black Canyon National Park. While there, on what would have been dad's 70th Birthday I got my 600th find. The next day we turned the TB loose. TB122WV is now out in the world.
Today I went out at lunch and got one of the local caches. This one's for Dad.

No comments: